Monday, June 27, 2011

Day Eleven: You'll Be My Favorite

Today’s topic is totally banal and I am not sure why it’s even part of the challenge. Simply, all I have to do is choose a song (any song!) from my favorite band. Stupid.

I am principally against the practice of having “one favorite thing.” I usually find that favorites are contingent upon a complex set of circumstances i.e. time, place, mood, happenstance, hormones, etc. . . However, this band has been continuously impressing me for years now. I liked them before they became ubiquitous and I still like them even though they are experiencing a hipster backlash. The music is pop infused fun; the lyrics are intelligent, entertaining, thought provoking, and dada-esque; and the band itself is comprised of nerd-dorks. All the makings of something I would totally be into-quirky intelligent songs to dance to. Why not?!?

I can’t quite recall the first time I heard MGMT. All I can remember is one day, for seemingly no reason, having “Electric Feel” in my head. Although, at the time I did not know it was “Electric Feel.” Tracking it down was a difficult challenge that comprised the better part of a day. I bought their first album, Oracular Spectacular, almost immediately (on vinyl because I’m cool) after pinpointed the mystery song. Since that day it has been one of my most listened to albums. I also had the pleasure of seeing MGMT at last year’s Rock the Garden, although a more intimate venue would have been preferable. Their latest release, Congratulations, is also quiet good. The album itself was scratch off-which was fun.

Here it is. A song from my “favorite” band:


Next up:

A song from a band you hate

No comments:

Post a Comment